Wider RailwayMost railway gauge, which measures the width between the inner sides of railway is only 4' 8.5". The narrow base, compared with the train's height, makes it very unstable and prone to accidents and derailment.
My idea is to increase it to maybe up to 15 ft and so can carry much wider trains.
The advantages are many:
- Instead of 2 x 2 seats in each car, we can now have 3 x 4 x 3, increasing the capacity by 2.5 times.
- It can carry 2 containers side by side.
- The trains will be more stable, decreasing the chance of derailing.
- The trains can go much faster especially at turning points.
- Better fuel efficiency.
- The wider space area can be covered with solar panel which can be used to generate power to run the trains.
It may not be feasible to convert existing railway but newer one can be considered. It may even be possible to run the trains from the solar energy generated. Crazy idea or noteworthy. What do you think?